Sunday, May 16, 2010

Contemporary music

At the moment there's a specific style of top 40 music that's very trendy.
It fast and with a lot of effects made by computers, and usually includes weird dances and crazy outfits.

The Queen of this type of music is undoubtedly Lady Gaga!!!

Three of her most popular songs (and songs I surprisingly like as well, though I didn't think I would).

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance


This song is obviously about a bad break up, something most of us can relate to.
However, most of us don't murder the person that caused our heart to break.
The music and the outfits are a bit futuristic, sometimes she almost completely covered and sometimes almost naked.
Her outfits can look really tough but sometimes also romantic and sweet.
What I like about this video clip, is that she also shows a vulnerable part of herself, not just the tough Gaga we see in the rest of the clip.

Lady Gaga - Paparazzi


The first thing I noticed about this one, is that there's a whole movie-like story to this clip, and I like that the guy that plays Eric Northman in the tv-show True Blood (Alexander Skarsgard) plays the guy.
Sadly he plays a jackass, but still.
I think this is a sad clip; once again she can't trust the one she loves, and feels she should kill him before he kills her.
I think Gaga has some relationship and trust issues.
I mean, I had bad break ups (a lot actually) but I never felt compelled to murder, just saying!
Paparazzi has a better sound to it than Bad Romance, so I actually really like to listen to this song,
The song is honest and she is vulnerable (for a part at least).
She just wants to be loved and be safe in someone's arms.

On the other hand, this song is also about the nasty phenomenon called paparazzi!
It's about the paparazzi that are obsessed with the stars the need to shoot pics of.
They stalk and chase them and befriend them; they are their biggest fans and don't know where to draw the line.
The paparazzi really changes the life of stars in the USA.
Stars can't go anywhere without being seen, nothings private, and the stars and the people they are surrounded with behave differently because of the paparazzi.
The shield the real them because nothings private, or they go to great lengths to be chased by the paps and get into the magazines.
Sometimes they do both.
The complain that nothing's private, but at the same time they use it at their advantage, they like it because it makes them famous.

Last, but not least:

Lady Gaga featuring Beyonce - Telephone


This song once again has a revenge and murder theme.
Bee's boyfriend breaks up with her or something, so they murder him AND everyone else in the cafeteria.
This song has a opposite statements and feelings, just like Bad Romance and Paparazzi.
In Bad Romance she wants revenge on the bloke, but she also wants to kill him; in Paparazzi she want's someone to trust and peace from the paps, but she's also willing to trow away love and privacy to be famous.
In this music video, Telephone, she wants her other half to pay more attention to her and not to ditch her, but it also sounds like she wants him to back off and stop calling, since she wants some peace and quiet.
Like I said: opposite emotions and thoughts!
I do like the movie-style video, this one reminds me of Thelma & Louise, Bonny * Clyde (though I'm not sure if there's a movie about it) and mostly about the movie "Natural Born Killers".

I like her songs, outfits and music video's, because she's edgy, but I also hate the fact that revenge and murder is such and important theme in her music video's.
She's setting a bad example for people, especially youth.
This shows them, that when you don't like how someone treats you (boyfriend or anyone else) you should just kill them.
It doesn't value life.


Miley Cyrus has also been getting more edgy and grown-up (even though she's only 16).
She has been out-growing her Hanna Montana image for a while, donning sexy, minimal clothes and dancing sexy.
She's also dating an older guy, and there is footage of her giving the directer (or someone like that) of her last movie, a lap dance *shock*.
That seems hardly appropriate for a regular woman/girl, let alone someone her age.
Giving a lap dance in public is simple raunchy and not at al classy.
Lap dances should only be given in strip clubs and in private bedrooms.
Anyway, she's got a new song called "Can't Be Tamed".

Miley Cyrus - Cant Be Tamed


I like that the video is raw, and I like the bird theme.
The big, realistic wings that she has in the beginning and the end of the video are amazing.
I think she acts well especially in the beginning.
Whe she gets out of the nest and looks at the crowd she has this look in her eyes that's fierce and wild, she seems just so grown up in this vid.
This video portrays her completely different from what her image used to be (sweet and girly and young), but now she looks bitchy and like a woman, like a grown up.
I think the bird theme is refreshing, but I do hope she will not keep this wild thing up from now on, just this song.
I like the song and I've played it a lot already.


I have also heard about a American singer called Kesha.
She is supposed to be this hot new thing, so I though I should check what the hype was about.
It turns out it was about bad taste!!!
She's just some trailer-trash chick and though there's nothing wrong with being trailer-trash, there's definitely something wrong with her.
She really doesn't have much of a message besides: "I like to party, being drunk and completely wasted and I'm undoubtedly out of my mind."
I think the music is really useless, the songs are really boring and the message is just wrong.

Kesha - Tick Tock


Great song huh!?
I'm being sarcastic off course.
It has a catchy beat but that's all.
She even sings like she's drunk, weird.
The youth in the USA seems to love her and this song, I think that shows how messed up a lot of youngsters are these days.
I like to party to, sometimes, but I never felt like being drunk and wasted (so I never got past tipsy) and I don't like black-outs or wasting my time like this.
Life is about so much more, which Kesha (and American youth with her) obviously doesn't get.

Kesha - Blah Blah Blah



This song is just as much Blah Blah Blah as the song says.
I like part of the message though, guys really do a lot of Blah Blah Blah so she's right about that, but in the song she doesn't care about talking at all, only about sex.
And the song really sucks.
It's mainly noise and I got a headache by listening to it.

Kesha - Your Love Is My Drug


I actually DO like this song!
It's about a love obsession, which is actually a normal thing to sing about.
I also like the song and the way she sings (especially the refrain).
Still there are some crazy elements in the song (I guess she can't be completely normal) like hoping to hit her head against the wall *raises eyebrows*.
I guess I really do not understand/get her but I do like this song.
The last line is quite funny btw, she says "I like your beard." how random is that *laughs*.

Anyway, I guess this is the music I checked out and how I feel about it.
I should probably watch MTV once in a while, so I know what's playing these days.

Have a nice sunday,

Freya

No comments:

Post a Comment