Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reviews: Villainess : Ginger Snapped Smooch! & Whipped!

A few weeks ago I ordered a few products by the brand Villainess.
Their own website is www.villainess.net , but I ordered the products from www.alicejohavesentials.nl , a Dutch webshop.

Villainess makes natural cosmetics with interesting ingredients and all sorts of powders (like ginger root powder, strawberry fruit powder and red wine powder) , moisturising oils and butters (which often contain anti-oxidants as well) and in case of scrubs (Smooch! and Smack!) also sugar(s).
Naturally they contain a lot more ingredients (such as preservatives , water and alcohol).

The products are not tested on animals and the products are pretty fresh.
Therefore, scrubs (Smooch! and Smack!) have to be used within a month after the first use and the Whipped! (Whipped Body Butter) has to be used within two months after the first use.

Soaps and Perfume Oils can be used much longer (if you store them the way you should).
Store soaps in an airtight container or a ziplock bag.
Perfumes should be stored in a dark and cold place.

So...here are the actual reviews :P :

Ginger Snapped Smooch!


Ingredients:
Crystalline Aluminosilicate (Zeolite), Sucrose (Sugar), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60, Prunus (Cherry) Kernel Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Fragrance, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Powder, Cinnamomum Cassia (Cinnamon) Bark Powder.

So Essentially there are 3 hydrating oils in this Smooch! (Grape Seed Oil, Cherry Kernel Oil and Coconut Oil) and 1 hydrating butter (Mango Butter).
This makes this Smooch! a hydrating scrub.
The Sugar is a fine sugar so it's not a coarse scrub.
It's effective though.
If you like your scrub soft, just scrub gently, if you like to scrub rough, scrub hard!
So, you can basically go either way with this scrub :D.

When you put this scrub on your skin you can feel it warming your skin (though I feel it mostly on my hands and not on the rest of my skin).
I usually scrub hard and it works very well with this one.
After a bit of scrubbing, the sugar dissolves and the scrub turns into a milky oil, thats very slick.
You wash it off, and you skin feels soft, hydrated and smooth, though not in the slightest bit oily.

After patting my skin dry, my skin is amazingly soft and smooth, and when I slather on Whipped! afterwards, it gets even more soft.

The Scent of Ginger Snapped is what Villainess describes on their website as: A slightly psychotic blend of sweet cinnamon, rich cardamom, spicy ginger, and a faint touch of innocent vanilla.

The scent is very well blended and I can pick out the individual notes, but when I smell it, I smell the WHOLE Ginger Snapped smell.
It's not like smelling a few individual notes.
Sure...it's spicy, and you can smell the cinnamon and cardamom, with a spicy, but also fresh, muskyness that must be the ginger and a sweetness that's the vanilla

To me it smells exactly like a Dutch treat called : Speculaas.


It's spicy and sweet and definately very foody.
It warms you up and awakens you and it makes you a tad hungry ;).
Sadly, it also has a tinge of burn cookie smell (exactly like speculaas that should have had a few minutes less in the oven).
Still, I love this Smooch! , and will buy it again!

I like this one so much I have gone through my first pot :D.

I combine Ginger Snapped Smooch! with Ginger Snapped Whipped!.
Villainess also sells a Ginger Snapped Soap (which I have, but have not yet tried) and Ginger Snapped Perfume Oil.


Ginger Snapped Whipped!


Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60, Cyclomethicone (and) Dimethiconol, Prunus (Cherry) Kernel OIl, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch.

This Whipped! (Body Butter) has the same 3 oils as the Ginger Snapped Smooch! (Coconut, Cherry Kernel and Grape Seed Oil) and the same butter (Mango Butter), which gives Ginger Snapped Whipped! great hydrating properties.
This product also includes glycerine which makes you skin lock the moisture in (so does honey) and wheat protein and starch which are supposed to be really nutritious for the skin.

These were the pros, here are the cons:
There is a lot of chemical stuff in this body butter that I like to avoid.
We're not talking about the amounts cosmetic companies like Dove or Bourjois would use; We are talking about a The Body Shop kind of amount.
It isn't dangerous but I like less chemicals in my cosmetics than this.
I'm cool with the kind of chemical level Lush has!
Lush uses sulfates and preservatives in their products, but they DON'T use any silicones (which I absolutely hate for some reason)!
The Body Shop and Villainess DO use silicone's , and I still like them and might love the products, but I like/love Lush better due to the absence of silicones.

In Ginger Snapped Whipped!, Cyclomethicone (and) Dimethiconol are the silicones.

I use Body Lotion/Milk/Butter every single day (twice a day, if possible) and usually use a generous amount of it, to make sure I'll be properly hydrated.
If I don't, I get dry skin (though lucky for me, not the flaking, itching kind).

I use this Whipped! a lot (I am in fact almost through my first pot) and this one makes my skin really soft.
That's not just because of the hydrating oils and butter, but also partially because of the silicones (they make skin and hair soft and smooth, BUT they also form a layer on your skin/hair, the thought alone creeps me out).

I use generous amount to massage into my skin.
It is absorbed quickly (so I can get dress right after moisturising) and leaves my skin soft and fragrant.
Lush Body Lotions hydrate my skin for 24 hours.
Sadly this Whipped! by Villainess does not.
It does not even last up to 12 hours, so I have to re-apply before bed.

I still like it enough though, since it it hydrates my skin well (the hydrating effect just isn't as long-lasting as I'm used to) and I really dig the fragrance this one has.

This smells just like the Ginger Snapped Smooch!, warm, spicy, foody and slightly sweet, like speculaas!
The Whipped! smells just a bit more smoky than the smooch (read: more burnt-cookie-smell), but that fades fast, so it doesn't bother me much.

Would definately buy the Ginger Snapped Smooch! and Whipped! again since I love the smell., though I probably need 2 pots of Smooch! on 1 pot of Whipped! (meaning: the Whipped! lasts longer on me than the scrub, since I use loads of scrub!).

Sadly, I haven't got the Ginger Snapped Perfume Oil in my posession, so I can't review that one, and I have yet to test the Soap, so I'll review that one later!








No comments:

Post a Comment