Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Silver Kiss (book)


When I was in high school a read a book called "The Silver Kiss".
(I read the Dutch translation that was called "De zilveren kus".)
I read it for a book report and because I thought a book with a vampire theme would be interesting.
So I loaned it from my local library and started reading.
I was surprised to how much I actually liked the book.

The book was written by Annette Curtis Klause, who is most famous for writing the book Blood & Chocolate.
I haven't read the book Blood & Chocolate yet, but I have seen the movie (it's in my movie collection).
It's available in a lot of different languages.

The story is about a girl named Zoë that lives in some town in America.
She's just a normal girl, except for the fact that her mother is dying of cancer and it's ripping her family apart.
Her mother can't deal with it, her father can't deal with it and neither can Zoë.
Zoë can't talk about it with her best friend , and to make it worse, that friend is moving to a different country.
Just when Zoë thinks her life is falling apart and she will be all alone on this world, she meets Simon.
At first he seems like a normal boy, but at a closer look, he is different.
He looks young but also old in a wise way, he looks old fashioned but also punk and he has a translucent, silver, beauty.
It turns out Simon is a vampire.

I really like this books because it is intense.
I'm not a person that's easily scared of emotions and like books and movies that have lot's of them.
It's not a flat story at all.
It's so real it could happen to you.

There are some great poems in this book written by Zoë.
Unfortunately I can't look them up right now, since the book is stashed in a box in my room, because I'm moving soon.

I've also written a little poetry myself, about this book, but it's also stashed away and in Dutch.

As usual I haven't written too much about the plot of the book so that if you haven't read it, and you want to read it, I haven't spoiled it for you.
I like to write reviews on books and movies but I always try not to reveal to much so I won't spoil the fun for others.
That's why my reviews may be a bit superficial compared to other reviews that do reveal the whole story and discuss it.

I'll add the poetry later when I'm in my new apartment, but for now you just have to read the book (really, do read it!)!
I can really recommend this book if you like to read about vampires, like love stories, or good old fashioned drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment